Montreal - October 15th, 2017
Montreal’s cleanliness problems are numerous, and must be fixed in order to give Montrealers the city they deserve. Valérie Plante, the leader of Projet Montréal and mayoral candidate promises to extend the presence of the cleaning brigades across all commercial streets of Montreal. The cleaning brigades are quite popular and are appreciated by residents and business owners. They help complete the work of the city workers, and greatly improve the cleanliness of the streets they service. Currently, because of the procedures and bureaucracy put in place by the outgoing administration only four boroughs use cleaning brigades. Projet Montréal will correct this situation and reintroduce cleaning brigades in all boroughs so that commercial associations and commercial development organisations can benefit from their services and offer to their visitors, residents and business owners a clean and enjoyable environment.
- Projet Montréal promises to increase the presence of cleaning brigades by allowing them to operate in every borough so that every commercial street can benefit from their services.
- Cleaning brigades are known for being efficient and are appreciated by residents and business owners because cleanliness is greatly improved by their work.
- Projet Montréal will increase the budget of cleaning brigades so that they can work in territories serviced by commercial development organisations and commercial associations so that Montrealers can benefit from a cleaner city.
- Cleaning brigades will give preference to organisations working in social integration; cleaning bridages will complement the work of the city workers.
- Projet Montréal will increase the quantity and quality of garbage bins on commercial streets and in public spaces.
"Montrealers deserve a clean city. Graffiti, damaged urban property, overflowing garbage cans shouldn’t be part of our daily experience. Uncleanliness is detrimental to the quality of life of Montrealers and the reputation and the image of the city. We have to offer our commercial streets the possibility to use cleaning brigades so that they can offer residents, visitors and business owners a more enjoyable street." – Valérie Plante, leader of Projet Montréal and mayoral candidate
"Budgetary cuts imposed by the outgoing administration have greatly affected the cleanliness of our streets, particularly our commercial streets. It is time we take care of Montreal streets. If we want more lively, attractive and healthy streets, we need to make sure that they are clean. Cleaning brigades are efficient organisations which help to make a difference in Montrealers lives. We need to bring cleaning brigades to every commercial street in Montreal." – Pierre Lessard-Blais, candidate for borough mayor in Mercier–Hochelaga-Maisonneuve